The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the General Manager opportunity, you will have:
- Solid experience at the general manager level in restaurants with complex concepts and fairly extensive menus; we also will consider candidates with retail industry management experience, as long as they also have a restaurant background
- Exceptional leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to:
- Promote a positive atmosphere
- Manage multiple activities and priorities
- Delegate effectively
- Develop staff and build retention
- Proven strong customer service skills with an outgoing, highly engaged approach
- Strong business savvy and experience with P&Ls, human resources functions, inventory/purchasing, etc.
- Experience training others
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A valid driver's license
- Experience managing multiple units is a plus
- A passion for high quality, wholesome food
- Dependability, honesty and a high level of integrity
- Strong self-motivation
- The ability to work well under pressure and adapt well to change
- Effective communication skills with the ability to speak, read and write the English language
Pictured: These beliefs guide our commitments to each other, our customers, and the way we accomplish our work. To see a larger version, click on the image.
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to a District Manager, you will oversee a cafe team that includes two to three Assistant Managers and Shift Supervisors. On any given shift you will oversee activities in both the front and back of the house. Each night we bake fresh bakery items; the bakery department is managed by a separate team, most of whom work overnight, and you will partner with this team.
If you have the background we're looking for, you probably have a good idea what this role entails. What may be different is that each cafe is essentially five businesses under one roof: Retail cafe, bakery, catering, rapid pickup and delivery. One production area supports most of these business areas, but there are a lot of moving parts.
You will be ultimately responsible for the financial success, sales-building and cash handling of your cafe. This will include:
- Protecting company assets at your location
- Maintaining staffing goals
- Ensuring proper execution of company standards
- Complying with all local, state, and federal laws and health codes
- Promoting an environment conducive to personal and professional growth
- Coaching, directing, evaluating, disciplining and counseling associates
- Directly supporting the overall professional development of Assistant Managers and Shift Supervisors at your location
- Maintaining a positive and hostile-free work environment
- Ensuring overall cleanliness and maintenance of the location
- Handling a variety of administrative duties
- Completing assignments on time
- Handling other duties as assigned
We have established procedures and standards, along with checklists you can follow to ensure nothing is missed. On a typical shift you will ensure that:
- The shift is structured for success, ensuring you have the right teams and personnel in the right places
- Baked goods and other products are maintained in a visually appealing manner, and that proper temperature control is maintained
- All staff members are doing their jobs and following standards
- Cashiers and other customer-facing team members are delivering excellent customer service with a positive, friendly attitude
- Teams follow time schedules, such as setting up for the lunch business
- There is a smooth transition to the next shift
- Labor costs are controlled
- The kitchen team manages food costs, such as controlling portions and minimizing waste
- Team members receive appropriate training
- Administrative functions are completed
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
What's in It for YouMake an impact
Our bakery-cafes are successful, but we believe a strong leader can always move the needle. You might enhance retention and performance by strengthening the positive atmosphere, building bench strength through training and mentoring, growing sales, controlling costs . . . maybe you have some ideas to share with us.
We schedule GMs for a 47.5-hour work week. Some choose to work more, and we'll look to you to be flexible as necessary. At the same time, this could be your chance to leave the late nights and bar scenes behind.
We know you'll bring solid experience and knowledge, but we're also confident that there will be new things for you to learn in our unique concept. Depending on your aptitude and interests, there may be opportunities to train new managers or contribute to special projects. We're always looking for strong leadership talent to step up; in fact, almost all of our District Managers were promoted from within.
We care about what we feed our guests
If you are a "foodie," you'll fit right in at Panera Bread. You can count on offering healthy, clean food, including a steady stream of well-curated new products.
We care about our communities
We're committed to the communities we live in and serve. We show our appreciation for customers not only within our bakery-cafes but also by sponsoring special events open to the neighborhood and participating in charitable events. In 2016, Panera Bread of Colorado, combined with contributions from customers, donated more than $1.8 million to Colorado nonprofits.
In addition to a competitive salary and quarterly bonus incentive program, we offer excellent benefits, including a 401(k) plan with company match, paid vacation, medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life/ad&d, critical illness, off-the-job accident, manager meals/product discounts and more.
Pictured: There isn't enough space here to display all of our menu choices, but the wide variety we offer means there is something for everyone. Shown here are our Modern Greek Salad with Quinoa; Freshly-Baked Country Bread; and Avocado, Egg White and Spinach Breakfast Sandwich.
Keys to SuccessWe have checklists to help ensure nothing is forgotten, but this job is about much more than going from one task to the next. You will be like the quarterback, managing multiple team members with different assignments, all of which are part of a winning strategy. The pace can be fast, and you'll need to be able to monitor all operational areas and manage multiple activities simultaneously, knowing which to handle personally and which to delegate.
In addition to handling tasks, responsibilities and issues, you should be adept at motivating the team, keeping them enthusiastic and positive regardless of what a shift might throw at them. As you probably already know, your leadership will be more influential during the busiest times if you lay a strong foundation when it's not so busy -- helping team members expand their skills, taking a personal interest in them, encouraging their professional goals, etc.
We're looking for people who regularly dig a little deeper and go the extra mile. You should be able to model an outgoing, smiling and personable demeanor for your team. Our best general managers are highly engaged at all times, interacting with customers in a friendly and highly professional way, and maintaining a constant flow of communication with the team on the shift, the assistant managers and shift supervisors.
Pictured: In addition to offering catering services for parties of five or more, we deliver to homes, offices and other locations -- always with a smile.